Sidley Austin LLP’s Washington, D.C. office is excited to announce the Third Annual Sidley 1L Diversity Summer Mentorship Program to be held this summer in Washington, D.C. We encourage all diverse 1L students at UVA who would like to practice in Washington law firms after graduation and who plan to spend their upcoming summer in the D.C.-area to apply. The mentor program is expected to take place during June and July 2012.
Space for mentees is limited and completed applications are due by Friday, April 27, 2012. Interested individuals should submit an application form available at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2012Sidley1LDiversitySummerMentorshipProgram and email a resume and an unofficial law school transcript to Mieko Rechka, Legal Recruiting Manager, at email@example.com for consideration.
Sidley Austin LLP has been one of the most prominent and progressive proponents of law firm diversity. Sidley’s mission is to attract and retain outstanding lawyers of varied backgrounds who reflect the global marketplace that Sidley serves. Through the leadership of its Diversity Committee and Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women, Sidley aspires to make sustainable progress in its journey toward becoming a more diverse organization. To further promote diversity within the legal profession and within the firm, Sidley offers a Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship Initiative for Second Year Law Students. Sidley will grant a $15,000 Sidley Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship to a limited number of deserving second year law students who join Sidley’s summer program. Some information regarding the application process is summarized below.
• Have a demonstrated ability to contribute meaningfully to the diversity of the law school, the firm and the legal profession
• Be a second year law student; preference is given to students at schools where Sidley conducts on-campus interviews (OCI) or participates in resume collections
• Have demonstrated academic achievement and leadership qualities
Expectations of Scholarship Recipients
• Join Sidley’s Summer Associate Program following the second year of law school
• Use the Sidley Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship award to defray the costs of his/her legal education
• Participate in Sidley’s ongoing dialogue regarding ways to improve diversity and inclusion
• Students interested in the Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship should apply before interviewing with the firm during OCI. Students attending law schools where Sidley does not conduct OCI are encouraged to apply by September 1. Awardees will be notified of the decision during the course of the recruiting season. The Scholarship application is not an application for employment. Applicants must separately apply for a summer associate position.
How to Apply
• Interested applicants should submit an application, including resume, official law school transcript, legal writing sample and personal statement to Jenny Connelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Sidley Austin LLP, One South Dearborn, Chicago, Illinois 60603. The application can be found on our website at http://www.sidley.com/careers/northamerica/about/diversityscholars.
• Optional - Letter of recommendation from a professor (law school or undergraduate), employer or personal acquaintance who can meaningfully comment on Applicant’s academic and intellectual strengths, demonstrated commitment to diversity, and/or ability to contribute to Sidley’s diversity efforts.
About Sidley Austin LLP
Sidley Austin LLP, with approximately 1700 lawyers in 18 offices, is one of the world’s largest full-service law firms. The firm offers its clients extensive experience in transactional, regulatory and litigation matters spanning virtually every area of substantive law. Sidley is committed to achieving greater diversity not only within the firm, but also within the legal profession as a whole. For more information about Sidley, please visit www.sidley.com.
Employment Opportunities/ Scholarships